Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:35 am IST

Home » Headlines » Top Of The End Tech To Test Bird, Swine Flu On The Way, Tech Upgradation Effected, More In Store

Top Of The End Tech To Test Bird, Swine Flu On The Way, Tech Upgradation Effected, More In Store

The Disease testing lab and the new gadgets. Image Credit: Sangai Photo

IMPHAL, Apr 29: Along with upgradation to the level of Bio Security Level-II (BSL-II), the existing Disease Investigation Laboratory of Veterinary Hospital at Sanjenthong is all set to be equipped with the facilities for emergency testing of Swine and Bird flu infections.

According to an official source, upgradation of the Disease Investigation Laboratory to the level of BSL-II in accordance to the norms of Good Laboratory Plantation (GLP) is currently underway at an estimated cost of more than Rs 1 crore.

75 percent of the total cost of upgrading the laboratory is to be borne by the Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India while the remaining 25 percent is to be provided from the side of the State Government.

Installation of the latest and sophisticated machines required for the upgradation is being carried out by the Hyderabad- based SRP Environs System Private Limited. The installation work is nearing completion and the laboratory is expected to be commissioned very soon, the source said.

Informing that upgradation process of similar Veterinary Laboratories in other North Eastern States like Assam, Meghalaya and Tripura is also currently underway, the source disclosed that Manipur is ahead of other States in the upgradation progress.

Once the Disease Investigation Laboratory of the State Veterinary Hospital is commissioned, there will be facilities for emergency testing of Swine and Bird flu infections. At that time, there would be no need for sending the samples collected for testing at Guwahati in case of outbreak of Swine or Bird flu in Manipur.

The upgraded laboratory would also have the facilities for testing and detecting of virus causing Bovine diseases like Blue Tongue and Infectus Brovine Rhinotrachietis. More-over, testing for bacteria causing Brucellosis, which affects the cattle and can infect butchers who come in connect with infected cattle, could also be carried out in the State itself. There is already adequate staff in the Veterinary Dept including one Microbiologist and one Virologist who would be working in the laboratory that would have all these testing facilities, the source disclosed, adding that steps would also be taken up to ensure proper disposal of the waste generated from laboratory so that it does not cause any harm to the health of the people and the environment.

(Courtesy: The Sangai Express)

Number of Views :790

Related Sites:

*The Sangai Express- Largest Circulated News Paper In Manipur
*E-Pao! :: Complete e-platform for Manipuris


Share |

*All postings on this website are provided “AS IS” from the source duly mentioned at the end of the post. It comes with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this website are the views/opinions of the writers and don’t necessarily reflect the view/opinion of ManipurOnline.

Leave a comment

*