Thursday, September 21, 2017 4:02 pm IST

Home » Headlines » Send Him Home: Meghen’s Backers

Send Him Home: Meghen’s Backers

GUWAHATI, Feb. 21: Nearly 200 people from Manipur today staged a demonstration in front of the NIA court demanding that the cases against UNLF chairman Sana Yaima alias Rajkumar Meghen and the leader himself be transferred to his home state.

The court has issued a production warrant against 13 members of the banned outfit, who are in Imphal jail to be produced on March 7.

Holding placards that read “UNLF is not waging war against India, UNLF is defending the rights of the Manipuri people, We want plebiscite in Manipur, Sana Yaima and the other members of the UNLF are not criminals,” the protesters staged the demonstration in front of the court.

“The UNLF is not a terrorist organization. It has not committed any violence against civilians nor harmed innocent people. The UNLF is defending the right of self-determination of the people of Manipur. Sana Yaima is a human rights defender,” said one of the protesters.

“Of the 19 chargesheeted by the NIA, six are in Guwahati central jail and 13 others are in Imphal jail. The court asked the Manipur jail authorities to produce them in the court here on March 7,” said Ashim Talukdar, the counsel for the UNLF militants.

The NIA filed the chargesheet against 19 members of the UNLF in the special NIA court here for their involvement in waging war against the country, raising funds by resorting to large-scale extortion from the government and private organizations in Manipur and for trying to procure arms and ammunition from foreign countries.

The Tada court today rejected a petition filed by jailed NDFB (anti-talks) Chief Ranjan Daimary seeking discharge from three Tada cases registered against him with police stations in Udalguri and Dispur police station in Guwahati.

The petition argued that there was no evidence against Daimary in connection with the three cases. The cases are in connection with violent attacks by the NDFB.

Talking to reporters after being produced in court, Daimary said peace initiatives with the government would continue despite the killing of three cadres of his outfit by security forces in Goalpara on Saturday.

“Peace initiatives will continue despite the recent killings,” he said.

The outfit had earlier protested the killing of its members and any Bodo youth by security forces and warned of retaliatory attacks on “Indians”.

Daimary who is behind bars since his arrest in May last year, recently declared a unilateral ceasefire and informed New Delhi about his willingness for peace talks.

The Centre, however, said the outfit must abjure violence in order to start dialogue and said counter-insurgency operations would continue.

(Courtesy: Telegraph India)

Number of Views :1295

Related Sites:

*The Sangai Express- Largest Circulated News Paper In Manipur
*E-Pao! :: Complete e-platform for Manipuris


Share |

*All postings on this website are provided “AS IS” from the source duly mentioned at the end of the post. It comes with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this website are the views/opinions of the writers and don’t necessarily reflect the view/opinion of ManipurOnline.

Leave a comment

*