IMPHAL, Jun 22: Even as the Dimapur-based Nagaland Post carried an unauthenticated report in the 22nd June edition, the United Committee Manipur (UCM) and All Manipur United Clubs’ Organization (AMUCO) have urged the public to exercise maximum restraint in subduing attempts by vested interest to create divisions amongst various communities.
The Editor of The Nagaland Post, Geoffrey Yaden is informed to have conceded that the report was published due to an oversight by one of staff members and he has been asked to explain how the report was inserted for publication.
Apart from the Editor regretting that the report was published, assurance was given to trace origin of the report sent through the e-mail, said a statement issued by All Manipur working Journalists’ Union (AMWJU).
The Union convened a joint emergency meeting this evening which was attended by representatives and Editors of print and electronic media of the State.
Taking serious note of the report, the meeting contacted various organizations, including Editor of Nagaland Post, to authentic whether the Naga Crusaders exist to which the Editor reportedly described the same as a ‘mischievous organization’.
Government spokesman, IFCD Minister N Biren said that there is a hint of irresponsibility on the part of the paper to carry such a report, which can give rise to unnecessary problems.
In addition to urging various Naga organizations to verify existence of Naga Crusaders, United Naga Council functionaries have informed they are unaware of the organization and further investigation would be initiated to confirm whether or not the said organization exist, maintained the AMWJU release.
When sources in the NSCN (IM) and NSCN (K) organizations were contacted they too claimed to be unaware of Naga Crusaders, the release added.
Setting the record straight, the NSCN (IM) in a statement has asserted that the so called Naga Crusaders does not have the mandate of the Naga people and hence is not a recognized entity.
The MIP of the outfit in the statement urged the public not to panic and added that if there are any differences between the Nagas and the Meiteis, then there are mandated and competent organizations to address the issue.
It is unfortunate that a fake organization is trying to create trouble, added the outfit.
Reacting sharply to the report carried in The Nagaland Post but apparently unaware of the Post’s clarification, the UCM has urged the Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh to take all precautionary measures to maintain peaceful co-existence amongst the indigenous people of Manipur.
Talking to newspersons here today, UCM president Yumnamcha Dilipkumar said a memorandum has been submitted to the Chief Minister highlighting contents of The Nagaland Post report in its June 22 edition wherein a hitherto unknown organization called ‘The Naga Crusaders’ issued a stern warning to the Meiteis residing/staying in the hill districts of Manipur to vacate the hill districts within July 10 to avoid facing dire consequences.
The UCM representation urged the Chief Minister to immediately apprise the Union Home Minister on the prevailing volatile situation in Manipur as well as to cancel the proposed tripartite talks scheduled to be held in Senapati district headquarters on June 30.
Reiterating that the State Government initiate necessary steps to protect the life and property of the people of Manipur, Dilipkumar said the memorandum also cautioned the Govt against succumbing to the diktats of UNC taking undue advantage of the Naga Appeasement Policy of the Government of India and goodwill of the Prime Minister in resolving the Naga issues.
The UCM also termed the June 21 decision of the State Cabinet to participate in the tripartite talks at Senapati by deputing a delegation led by the Chief Secretary DS Poonia as ‘quite insulting and humiliating’ the sentiments of the people of Manipur.
Recounting that it had already raised opposition to the proposed talks as UNC, one of the participants, had already been declared as a criminal organization to the extent that even warrant of arrest had been served against some of its leaders, Dilipkumar ridiculed the decision of the Government to go ahead with the said talks by terming the stand as premature and misleading.
Moreover, with the UNC having announced that it has severed all ties with the Government of Manipur the latter approving the Senapati district talks is even more ridiculous. This has aroused strong suspicion on the sincerity and commitment of the State Government to uphold interest of the general public, he asserted.
Strongly condemning the State Cabinet’s decision, he cautioned that UCM’s stand against the proposed tripartite talks remains unchanged.
Meanwhile, AMUCO in a statement issued by its Publicity secretary NC Modhuchandra reminded that it had been and will always oppose any policy- program of any organization that could result in forcing the indigenous people become refugees in their own place of origin or birth.
While taking grim note of the Post’s news report, AMUCO urged all sections of society to exercise maximum restraint and continue to work for peace and tranquility rather than act on sentiment. Modhuchandra also opined that responsible Naga organizations need to establish veracity of the report as well as existence of the so-called Naga Crusaders, he also suggested that a proper clarification on the matter would be most helpful to maintain cordiality amongst various ethnic communities settled in the State. AMUCO also asked the State authorities to take appropriate measures in order to ensure peace prevails in the State.
(Courtesy: The Sangai Express)Number of Views :1237
*All postings on this website are provided “AS IS” from the source duly mentioned at the end of the post. It comes with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this website are the views/opinions of the writers and don’t necessarily reflect the view/opinion of ManipurOnline.