Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:22 am IST

Home » Headlines » Civil Organizations Claim Boycott Success

Civil Organizations Claim Boycott Success

IMPHAL, Nov 12: The 17 civil organizations which called a 15 hours general strike today in protest against the de facto chief of the UPA Government, Sonia Gandhi‘s visit to the State have claimed that the general strike was quite successful.

The civil organizations boycotted Sonia Gandhi’s visit and called the 15 hours general strike demanding disclosure of UNLF Chairman Sanayaima alias RK Meghen’s whereabouts and resolution of the Indo-Manipur conflict through democratic means in accordance to the wishes of the people.

During the general strike all markets, shops, other business establishments and educational institutions remained closed. Government employees abstained from attending offices, passenger carriers and private vehicles stayed off the roads and all business activities came to a halt in support of the general strike, claimed the civil organizations in a joint press statement.

However, some Congress workers tried to mobilize people by offering money. As this was not enough, around 4000 new police recruits currently undergoing training at Manipur Police Training School, Pangei were forced to wear plain clothes and attend the meeting addressed by Sonia Gandhi.

Almost 80 per cent of the people attending the meeting were police personnel in civilian fatigue while the remaining 20 per cent were unscrupulous people hired by offering money.

Even as vehicle associations and owners supported the general strike, police commandos allegedly forced drivers to drive out vehicles on roads to transport people hired by the Ibobi-led Government.

Sonia Gandhi is woman and a mother but she lacks any maternal feelings. This was testified by her speech which did not mention even a single word about Irom Sharmila who has been fasting for the last 10 years.

Contrary to Sonia Gandhi’s statement that violence cannot bring any solution, the Government of India has been sending in large strength of military personnel and stockpiling a huge arsenal of arms and weapons.

The Government of India has been preaching peace but at the same time New Delhi is making Manipur a battle ground.

Sonia Gandhi’s total insensitivity towards the general strike and the aspirations of people only showed that her one-day visit was nothing but trickery.

The joint statement was issued by All Manipur Women’s Social Reformation & Dev. Samaj ( Nupi Samaj), All Manipur Tami Chingmi Apunba Nupi Lup ( Tami Chingmi ),  Poirei Leimarol Meira Paibi Apunba Nupi Lup,  Momnu Erikkhombi Lup ( MEEKHOL ),  Universal Mothers Organization ( UMO ),  Chanura Lamjinglen Kangleipak ( CLK ),  Ereibak Eenat Chanura Loinsinlon ( EECHAL ), Thoubal Dist. United Women’s Dev. Organization, All Manipur Students Union ( AMSU ),  Kangleipak Students Assn. ( KSA ),  All Manipur United Clubs Organization. (AMUCO), All Manipur Ethno Socio Cultural Organization. ( AMESCO ) , Ethno Heritage Council ( HERICOUN ),  National Identity Protection Committee ( NIPCO ), Manipur Peace & Integrity Council ( MAPI Council ),  United People’s Front ( UPF) and the United Peoples Administrative Council ( UPACO ).

(Courtesy: The Sangai Express)

Enhanced by Zemanta
Number of Views :483

Related Sites:

*The Sangai Express- Largest Circulated News Paper In Manipur
*E-Pao! :: Complete e-platform for Manipuris


Share |

*All postings on this website are provided “AS IS” from the source duly mentioned at the end of the post. It comes with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this website are the views/opinions of the writers and don’t necessarily reflect the view/opinion of ManipurOnline.

Leave a comment

*