Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:58 am IST

Home » Headlines » Center List NSCN (IM) Duo In Ambush Case

Center List NSCN (IM) Duo In Ambush Case

IMPHAL, Apr 30: Union Home Ministry has reportedly submitted the names of two cadres of NSCN (IM) who were allegedly involved in the ambush laid on MLA Wungnaoshang Keishing and his escort party in New Canan area of Ukhrul district on April 15.

On the other hand, a source in the Home Ministry has stated that even though the Government of India has taken a definite stand on initiating dialogue with UNLF after its chairman RK Meghen alias Sanayaima was arrested by NIA, the Government of Manipur has not been paying the kind of attention that is expected.

The source said that the Union Home Ministry has taken serious note over the incident of ambush laid on MLA Wungnaoshang Keishing and his escort party that led to the loss of eight lives and causing injuries to several others. Accordingly, the names of two cadres of NSCN (IM), one in the rank of major and the other a lieutenant, who were suspected to have been involved in the ambush, have been submitted to the State Government.

After receiving a report from the Government of Manipur in connection with the names submitted by the Ministry, the matter is to be brought up for discussion with the leadership of the Naga rebel group as well as with the Ceasefire Monitoring Group, the source disclosed.

The source said that the ambush on MLA Wungnaoshang Keishing and his escort part may be related to the demand for creation of Phungyar Assembly Constituency to a district.

On the other hand, another source in the Ministry said that the Government of India has taken up some concerted measures towards initiating dialogue with the UNLF after its chairman was arrested by the NIA. But the State Government has not been giving the kind of response that is expected.

The Ministry has also been closely monitoring the meetings being conducted for holding plebiscite in Manipur after the UNLF chief has been arrested. These meetings, however, have not been very large or exhaustive ones. Nonetheless, the Centre is expected to come up with some discussion on the issue, the source added.

It may be noted here that Chief Minister O Ibobi had earlier described the proposal for holding plebiscite to resolve the ongoing Manipur-India conflict as a good sign.

(Courtesy: The Sangai Express)

Number of Views :1178

Related Sites:

*The Sangai Express- Largest Circulated News Paper In Manipur
*E-Pao! :: Complete e-platform for Manipuris


Share |

*All postings on this website are provided “AS IS” from the source duly mentioned at the end of the post. It comes with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this website are the views/opinions of the writers and don’t necessarily reflect the view/opinion of ManipurOnline.

Leave a comment

*